07/02/2017

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare
Publication date: August 2010
Publisher: Simon &
Schuster
Format: Audiobook via Audible
Buy it here: Amazon, The Book Depository

Goodreads Description


In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...


This book was outstanding. And I don't say that lightly, EVER.

This book reads from Tessa's point-of-view. She is an American girl from New York, who has come to London, England (my home town, whoop!) in search of her brother Nathaniel. She comes into contact with Shadowhunters (they like, hunt demons and such) and descends into a dark and alluring world. She learns surprising things about herself while attempting to solve a mystery with her new friends. 

I never thought I would pick up another book by Cassandra Clare after I read the first book of her most popular Shadowhunter series The Mortal Instruments. I hated that book because it felt so boring and unoriginal, and I hated the characters and it was all just a bit SLOW. However, I was persuaded to give The Infernal Devices a chance when I read through the glowing reviews on Goodreads. Who does this Will Herondale think he is? He seems so appalling and mean! - I thought. Why on Earth do these readers think so highly of him? How can this book be so different? I mean, it'll still feature the same old Shadowhunters and runes and demons and vampires and everything I hated in the The Mortal Instruments... But actually... actually... it feels entirely different and way more magical. 

This book, Clockwork Angel, changed everything for me. It was so different to The Mortal Instruments, even though it is based in the same world, it's set in the Victorian Era which made it extra charming. And now I feel like an idiot for being so far behind in this fandom. I'm making up for it now though, because as I write this I'm now on the third, yes the THIRD and LAST book already. And now I feel a bit pathetic because I might actually once again have to pick up the first book I hated, City of Bones, to carry on with the Shadowhunter world and experience Cassandra Clare's creation to the fullest, though it'll be without Will, Jem and the others *unhappy face*. 

Fantastic read.  


1 comment on "Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare"
  1. Love the name of this blog. I am a reading fanatic and this blog is a treat for me. I will update you with mt literary collection and will add some books discussed here in my collection as well. A great platform for all book looters.

    ReplyDelete