18/08/2015

The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection by Kiera Cass
Publication date: April 24th 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Paperback
Buy it here: Amazon, The Book Depository

Goodreads Description


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

This was a magnificent start to a (very) promising trilogy. We meet America Singer (cringeworthy name, I know) who lives in Illéa (future U.S.A.) where everyone is separated into castes. Castes range from 1-8, with each caste having a role in society (1 being the highest ranking, the royalty etc and 8 being the 'scum' of society). America is a five. She comes from a family of artists and is fond of music and singing.
"True love is usually the most inconvenient kind."

When a Prince comes of age in Illéa, he hosts The Selection (think The Bachelor combined with The Hunger Games - that's a pretty common comparison in the book community). It's Prince Maxon's turn, and 35 girls are chosen (which is supposedly through a lottery system) to go to the palace and compete for the Prince and the chance to move 'up' in society. This is all broadcasted on television (see how it's similar to The Bachelor?), and with it comes perks and money.

America is not interested in entering The Selection as she's already in love with Aspen, her secret boyfriend - who is unfortunately a caste below her. Marrying him would mean lowering her status in society, but she's prepared to do it because she loves him. He feels inferior to her and doubts himself and his ability to provide for her and their future children. This causes him to beg her to enter The Selection - to have a chance at a better life. America doesn't expect to be chosen out of thousands of girls, but she does it anyway to please Aspen and her family.

What happens next will change her life forever.

One thing I must mention first is that cover! I know you should never judge a book by its cover, but this cover looks so beautiful and intriguing. No?


I found the concept of this book quite different. I'm pleased to say it worked for me. I can't wait to read the next one!

America  - I loved the character development for America in this book. She starts off shy and unsure of herself (sometimes quite self-conscious), but she soon learns how to 'play the game' and not take things too seriously. When it comes to Prince Maxon, however, she makes it perfectly clear how she feels about the whole situation (which I found extremely funny). Sometimes I felt like shouting at her for doing the wrong things and sometimes I felt like giving her a high-five. You can tell she really cares about her family and would do anything to help them.

Prince Maxon - One word: swoooon. You'll have to experience him for yourself. I think he's a bit misunderstood because he's shy and mysterious, but I'm rooting for him.

Aspen - America's now ex-boyfriend - but she still has feeling for him. Unfortunately, I don't like him very much. Even towards the end when he tried explaining himself, I still didn't like him and couldn't help but question his intentions. He seems quite... flat and meh I don't care about him and I hope he just goes away, but I have a feeling he won't :(

I loved the other characters like America's new friends and her maids. I also love America's sister and I hope we get to learn more about her.

Great book - I hope the rest of the trilogy is just as good!

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment